top of page


Let us help you come to Canada as a student. Book a consultation today.

Studying in Canada is a dream for many students. Hundreds of thousands of students from countries worldwide apply for admittance to Canadian educational institutions each year. Canada is in the top three destinations of international students globally.


Not all educational programs require a study permit. The need for a study permit depends on the duration and level of the program you have been accepted into. Any academic, professional, vocational, or other education or training over six months in duration at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada requires a study permit.


Gold Package

  • Assessment and consultation.

  • Academic Counseling

  • Study permit application submission.

  • Prepare for citizenship and immigration Canada post-interview.

  • Airport pick up, social insurance number, Alberta health care number, bank account, and telephone hook up.

  • Living accommodations, transportation introduction, resources in your new community and grocery shopping.

Silver Package

  • Assessment and consultation.

  • Academic Counseling

  • Study permit application submission.

  • Prepare for citizenship and immigration Canada post-interview.

  • Airport pick up, social insurance number, Alberta health care number, bank account, and telephone hook up.

Bronze Package

  • Assessment and consultation.

  • Academic Counseling

  • Study permit application submission.

Choosing an educational institution

The first step to studying in Canada is to choose a school to study. When choosing a school in Canada to study, ensure that you select one that the Canadian Government approves. These institutions are known as Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs).

Any school which Immigration recognizes, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) will have a Designated Learning Institution Number. The school should be able to provide you with this number on request. You will need to give this Designated Learning Institution Number on your study permit application.

All primary and secondary schools are Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) and do not require a Designated Learning Institution Number.

Studying in Canada without a study permit

Specific individuals can study in Canada without requiring a study permit. The following individuals are exempt from requiring a Canadian study permit:

  • You will be studying for six months or less. Your studies aren’t part of a longer the program, and you’ll complete all of your studies within the time we approved you to Stay in Canada.

  • You’re a family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada that has been Accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC).

  • You’re a member of a foreign armed force on official duties in Canada.

  • You have Registered Indian status in Canada.

  • Minor children if:

    • they’re in kindergarten,

    • they’re refugees or refugee claimants,

    • their parents are refugees or refugee claimants, or

    • They’re in pre-school, primary or secondary school, and they’re already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit.

Apply for a Canadian study permit

Once you have chosen an institution, you need to apply to the program you wish to study. If you meet all of the admission requirements of the educational institution, you will be granted an acceptance letter. An acceptance letter alone is not enough to ensure that you will be allowed to study in Canada. After your application has been received and accepted by the educational institution, you will have to apply for a study permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada unless you are exempt from requiring one.

Should you need to obtain a study permit, you must submit several application forms and supporting documents for yourself and any accompanying family members. Canadian study permit applications can be submitted online.

Accompanying family members

If you are going to be applying to study in Canada, your spouse and dependent children may be eligible to accompany you. They would be required to apply for their Canadian visas or permits.


If your spouse would like to work in Canada, they may be eligible for an open work permit if you will be a full-time student at one of the following types of educational institutions:

  • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec

  • a private college-level school in Quebec

  • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law


If you have dependent children (under the age of 22), they can accompany you to Canada. Minor children who are applying from outside of Canada to accompany their parents studying in Canada for six months or longer must apply for a study permit.

Minor children already in Canada can study without a study permit at the pre-school, primary, or secondary level if at least one of their parents is authorized to work or study in Canada.

Supporting documents

When applying for a Canadian study permit, you will be required to submit certain supporting documents as part of your application in addition to having a valid passport or travel document.


The first requirement is an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).


Next, you will need to show that you have enough money to cover your first year of tuition, return transportation for you and any accompanying family members, as well as your living expenses in Canada. If you cannot prove that you have enough money to cover these expenses, your application will be rejected. Another important factor to keep in mind for applicants from certain countries is that if there are foreign exchange control measures in your country, you must prove that the exchange control authorities will allow you to export funds for all of your expenses.


Depending on whether you will study in Quebec or any other Canadian Province, the amount required for your living expenses will vary.

Outside Quebec:

In Quebec:

Some applicants will be required to submit a study plan. This would need to include:

  • Why you wish to study in Canada in the program for which you have been accepted.

  • What your overall educational goal is.

  • Why are you not pursuing a similar program in your country of residence.

  • What research have you done into studies in your country of residence or citizenship.

  • How will the Canadian program enhance your employment opportunities in your country of residence or citizenship.

  • What ties do you have to your country of residence or citizenship.


If you want to study in Quebec, you need a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by the Gouvernement du Québec. Your school can give you all the details on how to apply for the CAQ.


Applicants may also be required to submit the following:

  • Biometrics.

  • Police clearance certificates.

  • Proof of completing an immigration medical examination.

  • Proof of previously completed education.

  • An updated CV.

  • Marriage certificate.

  • Unabridged birth certificates for minor children.

  • Notarized letter of consent for a child who is travelling with only one parent.

  • Custodianship declaration for students less than 18 years of age who are not going to be accompanied by a parent.

Working on a study permit

If you are studying in Canada on a study permit, you can work part-time, up to 20 hours per week, while studying in Canada. You can also work full-time during the school holidays.

You can work off campus without a work permit if you meet all of these requirements:

  • you’re a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI),

  • you’re enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program or a secondary-level vocational training program (Quebec only),

  • your study program is at least six months long,

  • your study program leads to a degree, diploma or certificate,

  • you’ve already started studying,

  • you have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN).

If you’re a part-time student, you can only work off campus if:

  • you meet all of the requirements above, and

  • you’re only studying part-time, instead of full-time, because:

  •     you’re in the last semester of your study program and you don’t need a full course load to complete your program, and

  •     you were a full-time student in your program in Canada, up until your last semester.

You can’t work off campus without a work permit if any of the following situations apply to you:

  • your study permit specifically says that you aren’t authorized to work off campus while you study,

  • you’re only enrolled in an English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL) program,

  • you’re only taking general interest courses,

  • you’re only taking courses required to be accepted into a full-time program.

Post-graduation work permit program (PGWPP)

For some international students, the next step will be obtaining a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).


These are open work permits that are issued to a graduate who meets the following criteria:

  • You studied in Canada on a full-time continuous basis in a program that was a minimum of eight months (two semesters) in duration;

  • You graduated from a public post-secondary institution, private post-secondary institution, private secondary or post-secondary institution in Quebec which offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or more which lead to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP);

  • You are 18 years of age or older when you make your application for the work permit;

  • You have a valid Study Permit at the time of making your application;

  • You apply for your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) within 90 days of receiving confirmation that you have completed your program.


The duration of your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) is based on the duration of your completed educational program. If your program was less than eight months in duration, then you will not be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). If your program was between 8 months and less than two years in duration, then your permit will be issued for the same duration as your length of studies. If your program was two years or longer in duration, then your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) will be issued for up to three years in duration.

It is important to keep in mind that if you have previously been issued with a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) for a previously completed program, you cannot apply for a second post-graduation work permit (PGWP) even if you have completed a new educational program.

Obtaining permanent residence in Canada

Suppose you were eligible and you obtained a post-graduation work permit of one year or longer. In that case, you may be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class depending on the type of work you did while on your work permit in Canada.

Depending on the Province you studied in, you may be eligible for a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), which will lead to a Canadian permanent residence. You can refer to the different Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) here.

For some, there may not be any options available to them if they cannot meet the full criteria of any of the permanent residence streams that Canada offers. In most cases, this will be due to the applicant being too old once they graduate to reach the minimum criteria required, as most programs are now points-based. Being of a certain age can preclude you from gaining essential points required to meet these criteria. It is important to keep this in mind when looking to study abroad and to actually calculate if you would be able to meet any of the required criteria once you did graduate to ensure it is worth investing the money to study abroad, or if you will likely need to return home once you graduate.


Take Our Free Assessment

Complete our free assessment here to have our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant evaluate whether you would be eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time.

Book A Full Consultation

To review your eligibility and all of your available Canadian immigration options directly with our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, book a full consultation right now.


  • What kind of service do you provide?
    The Labour Market Impact Assessment Work Permit Extension on the Work Permit Permanent Residence Status in Canada Relocation Assistance (S.I.N., Banking, temporary accommodation, Health Care and ESL, etc.)
  • What positions do you recruit for?
    We provide placement services primarily in the Construction, Trucking, Welding, Manufacturing, and Service Industries. Our primary focus is to assist your organization by matching you with the right employees based on your specific needs. We do this while building partnerships based on mutual respect, trust, and professionalism.
  • What countries do you recruit from?
    We recruit from any country worldwide but specialize in select countries due to the availability of high and low skilled workers and the success rate of the immigration process per country. We specialize in recruiting from the Philippines, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Macao and Singapore.
  • What is the difference between low-skill and high-skill workers?
    The National Occupational Classification or NOC defines the difference between low and high skilled workers for short. The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the nationally accepted reference on occupations in Canada. Each occupation has a designated NOC code based on the skill requirements required to perform the job. High-skilled workers are designated under skill levels 0, A, or B of the National Occupational Classification Matrix. Low-skilled positions are designated as skill levels C and D of the matrix. For further information, please refer to the matrix here.
  • Can a foreign worker work for someone else?
    Foreign workers who immigrate to Canada on a temporary work visa cannot work for any other employer unless authorized to do so. To obtain authorization to work for another employer is a painstaking process. In most cases, an employee will not try to switch employers as long as they are treated fairly and the employment contract terms are met.
  • What are my obligations as an employer?
    As an employer, you are obligated to treat foreign workers the same as treating Canadian workers. A contract between the foreign worker and the potential employer is signed before the foreign worker is granted their work permit. This contract outlines the obligations made between the employer and the employee. If the foreign worker does not meet the criteria set forth by the employer for their employees, the employer is under no obligation to keep them and can terminate their contract.
  • How long does the process take?
    The length of the process depends on the position the company is recruiting for and the country they wish to recruit from. The shortest time frame to have a foreign worker in Canada is approximately one month. The waiting times to acquire a foreign worker from beginning to end range from approximately 3-7 months.
  • How much do I have to pay for wages?
    Service Canada requirements dictate that you must pay the "Median Wage." As the Median Wage changes regularly and varies by occupation and is further determined by geographical location, we ask that you please get in touch with us for the current salary in your area for a specific occupation.
  • Do I have to deduct CPP, EI and employment tax from the foreign worker?"
    Employers are responsible for deducting the same taxes as they would from their Canadian employees.
  • Do I have to provide accommodation to the foreign worker?
    We can assist your company in finding accommodation for your foreign employees for a small fee, or you can choose to help the workers secure their accommodations. The employer must ensure that the employee's accommodations are no greater than 33% of the employee's gross wage for low-skilled workers. Temporary foreign workers usually choose to share accommodations to lower the cost of living.
  • How much do your services cost?
    Our company has several packages available to suit your needs.
  • Do I need to sign a contract?
    You will be required to sign a contract for either a one or two-year period. However, if for some reason you no longer need the worker, you may terminate the contract provided that it is done in accordance with the provincial labour laws in your province.
  • How long can I employ a Foreign Worker?
    There are currently no restrictions on the length of employment. As long as both the employer and the employee meet the Temporary Foreign Worker Program requirements, they may renew indefinitely.
  • Aside from wages, are there other costs associated with getting a Foreign Worker?"
    If you are hiring a lower-skill worker, you will be responsible for purchasing a return flight for the worker as an employer. If you are hiring a skilled worker, you are not required to pay the flight costs.
  • Can I hire a part-time Temporary Foreign worker?
    All positions must be full-time. However, the number of hours that qualify as full-time varies significantly from province to province. It can be as little as 30 hours per week, depending on which province the Foreign Worker is employed in. There are some exceptions, such as a Temporary Foreign Worker holding an open work permit or a study permit.
bottom of page