top of page
  • Suzette Tiempo

Super Visa: Reuniting Canadian & Permanent Resident Families With Their Parents & Grandparents

Updated: Jan 16, 2022

Canadian and permanent resident families can reunite with their parents and grandparents thru the super visa program. This program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to invite their parents and grandparents for a long-term visit (up to 2 years) in Canada compared to six months or less with a regular visitor visa. The super visa has made it easier for families to reunite with their loved ones, and many have already taken advantage of this program.


- Be the parents or grandparents of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, dependents can't be included in the application.

- Have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes a promise of financial support for the length of your visit, the list and number of people in the household of this person, a copy of this person's Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document.

-The child or grandchild who invites you must prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. The following documents are examples of what can be used as proof of funds:

  • Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year

  • Employment Insurance stubs

  • Employment letter including salary and date of hire

  • Pay stubs

  • Bank statements

- Have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is valid for at least one year from the date of entry, at least $100,000 coverage, have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren't accepted).

- Intend to leave Canada at the end of their visit.

How to Apply

To apply for a super visa, you can either go to the Canadian embassy or consulate in your country of residence or apply online. The application process generally takes about 6-8 weeks.

After you apply

Once you have submitted your application, you may need to go to an interview, send more information and get a medical exam. You will also need to provide a police certificate from every country you have lived in for more than six months since the age.

If you miss the PGP, the Canadian super visa can be a valuable tool if you want to reunite with your parents and grandparents. If you have any questions or like more information about this program, don't hesitate to get in touch with us!



bottom of page