top of page
Foreign Qualification Recognition - In Time Immigration & Recruitment

Foreign Qualification Recognition is the process of verifying that the education, skills and experience obtained in another country meet the licensure standards for safe and competent practice in Canada.


Many occupations in Canada are regulated, so you need to be licensed by a provincial Professional Regulatory Organization to work in that occupation. Other common terms that mean the same thing as regulated are “certified” and “registered.” A license is not required to work in a non-regulated occupation. Employers can hire anyone they choose in occupations that are not regulated.



Identify the organization responsible for recognition

To have your academic credentials and professional qualifications recognized to work in Canada, the first step is to determine which organization is responsible for assessing and identifying and what documents are required. This depends on whether or not your occupation is regulated.


In Canada, about 20% of jobs are regulated to protect the health and safety of Canadians, such as doctors, engineers, plumbers, and teachers.

  • In regulated occupations, the recognition will be determined by the appropriate provincial or territorial regulatory authority.

  • In non-regulated occupations (80% of jobs), recognition is generally at the employer's discretion.


Find out if your occupation is regulated or not

In Canada, about 20 percent of jobs are regulated to protect the health and safety of Canadians by ensuring that professionals and tradespeople meet the required standards of practice and competency. As a general rule, if your chosen occupation is:

  • regulated, the recognition of your qualifications will be determined by the appropriate provincial or territorial regulatory authority;

  • non-regulated, recognition is generally at the discretion of the employer.


To work in a regulated profession or trade and use a reserved title, you must obtain a licence to practise or a qualification certificate.


Identify the documents to be recognized.

It is important to submit documents for assessment according to the specific procedure prescribed by the organization responsible for recognizing your qualifications. Those requirements are usually published on their Web site.


When seeking recognition of credentials, it is essential to identify the documents required for assessment by the authorities in Canada and the terminology used to describe them, such as:


1- Academic credentials are usually issued by an educational institution and may include:

  • diploma(s) or degree certificate(s);

  • transcript(s)/mark sheets/index;

  • detailed course outline(s).


2- Professional qualifications are usually issued by a professional regulatory authority or association in occupation and may include a:

  • certificate of competency or qualification;

  • professional qualification certificate or licence to practise.


Get information on the assessment process.

Regulatory authorities, professional associations, apprenticeship offices, and employers determine the requirements and procedures for assessing and recognizing your qualifications. Note that these requirements differ for each occupation and may differ from one province or territory to another. Therefore, it is essential to communicate directly with the relevant regulatory authority, professional association, or apprenticeship office for information on how to proceed in the jurisdiction you wish to work.


It is strongly recommended that you gather all supporting documents and arrange for them to be sent while you are still in the country in which they were issued. This will significantly facilitate the assessment and recognition process. Once all documents have been received, the organization may require several months to complete the assessment, and you will be asked to pay associated fees.


In some cases, the assessment process can begin while you are still in your country of origin. You may also be able to use an online self-assessment tool to determine how your qualifications may be recognized.


In the case of regulated professions and trades, you may also have to complete other requirements to obtain a licence to practise or certificate of qualification. These could include:

  • examinations to test your knowledge and competencies;

  • proof of language proficiency;

  • criminal record check;

  • Canadian work placement or practicum;

  • reference check or evidence of professional standing;

  • orientation course or bridging program; and/or

  • additional academic or professional requirements.


Get information on mutual recognition agreements (MRAs)

Some regulatory bodies or professional associations in Canada have negotiated mutual recognition agreements (MRAs) with other organizations outside Canada. In some cases, such MRAs are negotiated directly between two or more countries or regions.


If you already hold a licence, certificate, or registration with such an organization outside Canada or work in a signatory country or region, this could facilitate the recognition of your professional qualifications in Canada.


Get financial assistance to complete the assessment process.

Internationally trained professionals may have access to financial assistance to complete the assessment process that will allow them to work in their intended occupations. These micro-loan programs are offered to citizens or permanent residents of Canada who were trained outside Canada and did not have sufficient credit history of borrowing from a Canadian financial institution.



The process of having your credentials assessed, obtaining certification (if necessary), and finding employment in your occupation can take several months.


To stay current in their areas of expertise while seeking certification and employment, many professionals and tradespeople work in related occupations or take volunteer or internship positions to gain Canadian work experience.

Do you want your foreign academic credentials and professional qualifications recognized in Canada? We can help.

Thanks for submitting!


Take Our Free Assessment

Complete our free assessment here to have our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant evaluate whether you would be eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time.

Book A Full Consultation

To review your eligibility and all of your available Canadian immigration options directly with our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, book a full consultation right now.


  • What kind of service do you provide?
    The Labour Market Impact Assessment Work Permit Extension on the Work Permit Permanent Residence Status in Canada Relocation Assistance (S.I.N., Banking, temporary accommodation, Health Care and ESL, etc.)
  • What positions do you recruit for?
    We provide placement services primarily in the Construction, Trucking, Welding, Manufacturing, and Service Industries. Our primary focus is to assist your organization by matching you with the right employees based on your specific needs. We do this while building partnerships based on mutual respect, trust, and professionalism.
  • What countries do you recruit from?
    We recruit from any country worldwide but specialize in select countries due to the availability of high and low skilled workers and the success rate of the immigration process per country. We specialize in recruiting from the Philippines, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Macao and Singapore.
  • What is the difference between low-skill and high-skill workers?
    The National Occupational Classification or NOC defines the difference between low and high skilled workers for short. The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the nationally accepted reference on occupations in Canada. Each occupation has a designated NOC code based on the skill requirements required to perform the job. High-skilled workers are designated under skill levels 0, A, or B of the National Occupational Classification Matrix. Low-skilled positions are designated as skill levels C and D of the matrix. For further information, please refer to the matrix here.
  • Can a foreign worker work for someone else?
    Foreign workers who immigrate to Canada on a temporary work visa cannot work for any other employer unless authorized to do so. To obtain authorization to work for another employer is a painstaking process. In most cases, an employee will not try to switch employers as long as they are treated fairly and the employment contract terms are met.
  • What are my obligations as an employer?
    As an employer, you are obligated to treat foreign workers the same as treating Canadian workers. A contract between the foreign worker and the potential employer is signed before the foreign worker is granted their work permit. This contract outlines the obligations made between the employer and the employee. If the foreign worker does not meet the criteria set forth by the employer for their employees, the employer is under no obligation to keep them and can terminate their contract.
  • How long does the process take?
    The length of the process depends on the position the company is recruiting for and the country they wish to recruit from. The shortest time frame to have a foreign worker in Canada is approximately one month. The waiting times to acquire a foreign worker from beginning to end range from approximately 3-7 months.
  • How much do I have to pay for wages?
    Service Canada requirements dictate that you must pay the "Median Wage." As the Median Wage changes regularly and varies by occupation and is further determined by geographical location, we ask that you please get in touch with us for the current salary in your area for a specific occupation.
  • Do I have to deduct CPP, EI and employment tax from the foreign worker?"
    Employers are responsible for deducting the same taxes as they would from their Canadian employees.
  • Do I have to provide accommodation to the foreign worker?
    We can assist your company in finding accommodation for your foreign employees for a small fee, or you can choose to help the workers secure their accommodations. The employer must ensure that the employee's accommodations are no greater than 33% of the employee's gross wage for low-skilled workers. Temporary foreign workers usually choose to share accommodations to lower the cost of living.
  • How much do your services cost?
    Our company has several packages available to suit your needs.
  • Do I need to sign a contract?
    You will be required to sign a contract for either a one or two-year period. However, if for some reason you no longer need the worker, you may terminate the contract provided that it is done in accordance with the provincial labour laws in your province.
  • How long can I employ a Foreign Worker?
    There are currently no restrictions on the length of employment. As long as both the employer and the employee meet the Temporary Foreign Worker Program requirements, they may renew indefinitely.
  • Aside from wages, are there other costs associated with getting a Foreign Worker?"
    If you are hiring a lower-skill worker, you will be responsible for purchasing a return flight for the worker as an employer. If you are hiring a skilled worker, you are not required to pay the flight costs.
  • Can I hire a part-time Temporary Foreign worker?
    All positions must be full-time. However, the number of hours that qualify as full-time varies significantly from province to province. It can be as little as 30 hours per week, depending on which province the Foreign Worker is employed in. There are some exceptions, such as a Temporary Foreign Worker holding an open work permit or a study permit.
bottom of page