top of page


Let us help you come to Canada thru express  entry. Book a consultation today.


Individuals applying for Canadian permanent residence may require an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) as part of their application. An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) assesses any foreign qualification to state what it is on par with by Canadian standards. Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) are most notable used by those trying to immigrate to Canada through the Express Entry system. Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) are valid for five years from the date they are issued.

Where can I obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)?

For the immigration process, you can obtain an Educational Credential Assessment from any of the following agencies:


  • World Education Services Canada

  • Comparative Education Service: University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies

  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada

  • International Qualifications Assessment Service

  • International Credential Evaluation Service

  • Medical Council of Canada (Doctor’s must use this organization)

  • Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (Pharmacists must use this organization if they require a license to practise. If you work in a position where you do not need a license, one of the other designated organizations can assess your credentials.)


Please note that you may have to get a second assessment of your qualifications completed by a professional body for certain professions, which would be separate from an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).

Who needs an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

Those who want to be the primary applicant on an Express Entry profile require an Educational Credential Assessment if they apply as a Federal Skilled Worker and complete their education outside of Canada. Those using the Federal Skilled Trades Program and the Canadian Experience Class do not require an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). Still, if they do obtain one, it will add points to their Express Entry profile. Suppose you do not get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), and you did not obtain your education from a Canadian educational institution. In that case, you will not be issued with any points for your completed education. If you get your education at a Canadian educational institution, you do not need to obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).


Spouses of the principal applicant do not have to obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). Still, if they do, it can add extra points to their spouse’s Comprehensive Ranking System Score, as long as they are listed as an accompanying spouse.


Specific other programs may require an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) as part of the application process. Always check the complete requirements of the program that you are applying through to confirm if you need to obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) or not.

What can be assessed on an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) cannot be issued for all qualifications. They are issued for completed and awarded formal academic and technical credentials from recognized institutions. Below are some of the examples of what cannot be assessed on an Educational Credential Assessment:


  • Credentials obtained in Canada as they do not require an Educational *Credential Assessment (ECA)

  • Non-academic credentials (for example, a certificate of competence in Microsoft Office)

  • Career training qualifications (for example, your company’s Manager Level III)

  • professional qualifications (for example, chartered accountant designation)

  • in-service professional development

  • work experience

  • professional examinations

  • incomplete credentials

  • anything below secondary/high school level (for example, primary / elementary level)

  • non-academic credentials (for example, Excel training)

  • vocational or trades training (for example, diesel mechanics program, foreign trade certificates)

What needs to be assessed on an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) are only required for your highest completed qualification, as you only earn points for your highest completed qualification. The only exception to this rule will be if you are trying to obtain points for having two or more credentials. In this case, you can only earn points for having two qualifications if one of them was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more and the second one was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of one year or more.


If you possess a master’s degree, you do not need to get your bachelor’s degree assessed, if applicable, as you will earn points for your master’s degree.

What if my qualifications are not recognized?

If your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) shows that your credential is not equal to a completed Canadian credential or that the foreign educational institution that you attended is not recognized, then you will not be able to earn any points for your completed education. This may potentially mean that you cannot create an Express Entry profile.


In some cases, your qualification may also be recognized at a lower level. For instance, you may have earned a master’s degree, but your Educational Credential Assessment lists it is as being the equivalent of a Canadian bachelor’s degree (three years). In this case you would only earn points for a bachelor’s degree (three years).

How many points is my education worth?

The Canadian equivalence on your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) will earn you points on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) as follows:


Applicants with no accompanying spouse/common-law partner

Applicants with an accompanying spouse/common-law partner


Take Our Free Assessment

Complete our free assessment here to have our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant evaluate whether you would be eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time.

Book A Full Consultation

To review your eligibility and all of your available Canadian immigration options directly with our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, book a full consultation right now.


  • What kind of service do you provide?
    The Labour Market Impact Assessment Work Permit Extension on the Work Permit Permanent Residence Status in Canada Relocation Assistance (S.I.N., Banking, temporary accommodation, Health Care and ESL, etc.)
  • What positions do you recruit for?
    We provide placement services primarily in the Construction, Trucking, Welding, Manufacturing, and Service Industries. Our primary focus is to assist your organization by matching you with the right employees based on your specific needs. We do this while building partnerships based on mutual respect, trust, and professionalism.
  • What countries do you recruit from?
    We recruit from any country worldwide but specialize in select countries due to the availability of high and low skilled workers and the success rate of the immigration process per country. We specialize in recruiting from the Philippines, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Macao and Singapore.
  • What is the difference between low-skill and high-skill workers?
    The National Occupational Classification or NOC defines the difference between low and high skilled workers for short. The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the nationally accepted reference on occupations in Canada. Each occupation has a designated NOC code based on the skill requirements required to perform the job. High-skilled workers are designated under skill levels 0, A, or B of the National Occupational Classification Matrix. Low-skilled positions are designated as skill levels C and D of the matrix. For further information, please refer to the matrix here.
  • Can a foreign worker work for someone else?
    Foreign workers who immigrate to Canada on a temporary work visa cannot work for any other employer unless authorized to do so. To obtain authorization to work for another employer is a painstaking process. In most cases, an employee will not try to switch employers as long as they are treated fairly and the employment contract terms are met.
  • What are my obligations as an employer?
    As an employer, you are obligated to treat foreign workers the same as treating Canadian workers. A contract between the foreign worker and the potential employer is signed before the foreign worker is granted their work permit. This contract outlines the obligations made between the employer and the employee. If the foreign worker does not meet the criteria set forth by the employer for their employees, the employer is under no obligation to keep them and can terminate their contract.
  • How long does the process take?
    The length of the process depends on the position the company is recruiting for and the country they wish to recruit from. The shortest time frame to have a foreign worker in Canada is approximately one month. The waiting times to acquire a foreign worker from beginning to end range from approximately 3-7 months.
  • How much do I have to pay for wages?
    Service Canada requirements dictate that you must pay the "Median Wage." As the Median Wage changes regularly and varies by occupation and is further determined by geographical location, we ask that you please get in touch with us for the current salary in your area for a specific occupation.
  • Do I have to deduct CPP, EI and employment tax from the foreign worker?"
    Employers are responsible for deducting the same taxes as they would from their Canadian employees.
  • Do I have to provide accommodation to the foreign worker?
    We can assist your company in finding accommodation for your foreign employees for a small fee, or you can choose to help the workers secure their accommodations. The employer must ensure that the employee's accommodations are no greater than 33% of the employee's gross wage for low-skilled workers. Temporary foreign workers usually choose to share accommodations to lower the cost of living.
  • How much do your services cost?
    Our company has several packages available to suit your needs.
  • Do I need to sign a contract?
    You will be required to sign a contract for either a one or two-year period. However, if for some reason you no longer need the worker, you may terminate the contract provided that it is done in accordance with the provincial labour laws in your province.
  • How long can I employ a Foreign Worker?
    There are currently no restrictions on the length of employment. As long as both the employer and the employee meet the Temporary Foreign Worker Program requirements, they may renew indefinitely.
  • Aside from wages, are there other costs associated with getting a Foreign Worker?"
    If you are hiring a lower-skill worker, you will be responsible for purchasing a return flight for the worker as an employer. If you are hiring a skilled worker, you are not required to pay the flight costs.
  • Can I hire a part-time Temporary Foreign worker?
    All positions must be full-time. However, the number of hours that qualify as full-time varies significantly from province to province. It can be as little as 30 hours per week, depending on which province the Foreign Worker is employed in. There are some exceptions, such as a Temporary Foreign Worker holding an open work permit or a study permit.
bottom of page